Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Vinnie at the Baked Potato...

  1. #21
    Inactive Member peter b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2004
    Posts
    184
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey tom,
    i just wanted to let you know how great you sounded with 'kick the cat' at the jazz fest. also i was wondering, the opening groove you play on, i believe the song was called 'snaggle-tooth vs. camel toe'.(nice title BTW) very cool groove! i want to learn how to play that kind of thing. is that something you might have transcribed on paper lying around. or is there a book you might recommend that has that kind of stuff in it?
    thanks,
    peter

  2. #22
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree Danny, however, I truly think that feel and playing for the song was always his main focus. It's just that over the years his playing has become more mature and wise (much like all of us! ;-). What you're alluding to probably has more to do with the artists he's chosen to play with lately, which highlights more of a pop-oriented Gadd/Porcaro approach than the classic Vinnie-fusion thing. Maybe it's kind of the same thing you're saying
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Absolutely, TH. [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Tom Hipskind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Peter and Fuse for the last two posts!

    To answer your question, Peter, the "Camel Toe" groove isn't something that was at all predetermined. It's just kind of a furious funk/rock thing that felt kind of neat to do a bit of "displacement" on. It's fast enough to maybe be considered (at least technically, not musically) almost Drum 'N Bass in its approach from the drums. So, you could check out Johnny Rabb's "Jungle/Drum 'N Bass" book for those kinds of grooves. I have it; it's great!

    Btw, I neglected to post this earlier, but Kick the Cat will be playing tomorrow (now TONIGHT) night, 9/14, at Martyr's in Chicago, along with another fusion band I'm in called Bad Dog (equally fun to check out and cool to play in!), which is just a bit more toward the prog rock style. Check it out if you can, Peter! And, of course, anyone else in Chicago!

    -Tom

  4. #24
    Inactive Member WecklsMechanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2004
    Posts
    232
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys!!

    Been away from the computer for a while.

    I was at a recording studio in Calabasas most of monday 9-13-04 to "hang" and watch Brian Bromberg record his new jazz CD. Brian had promised me months ago that he'd show me what it was really like recording at a professional level. Well... none other than Vincent Colaiuta and Randy Waldman were there doing the "gig" with him.

    So you heard it 1st here on H.O.D.!! The next album that Vinnie is on, is the new Brian Bromberg CD with Randy Waldman.

    I was really worried that I would "freak out" Vinne as a drum groupie or something, but eventually Vinnie came into the control room where I had been trying to mind my own business and stay as close to Brian as I could. I know Vinnie gets a bunch of hungry young drummers wanting to share a morsal of his time just to say that they once "met" Vinne, and I didn't want to act like a vulture waiting to corner him and ask him a million questions.

    Well... things went really well. Much better than I had ever imagined.

    On one of the breaks, I went outside to get a coke for the engineer and one for me. Vinnie was sitting outside smoking a cigarette and drinking some coffee. I minded my own business and started to pump some money into the machine. I awkwardly turned around and said hi to Vinnie as I reached down to get the 1st soda that dropped from the vending machine. He said hi and offered his hand for me to shake. He asked my name and asked if I came to recording sessions like this often. I said "no..... this was a 1st for me at this level." I explained the only reason why I was here is because Brian is my friend. That seemed to be a good enough reason for him.

    I went back up to the studio and gave the coke to the engineer. I walked into the room where Vinnie had his vintage Maple Gretch kit set up and by a fluke after some rambling chit chat I asked Vinnie if he were voting for Bush? His facial expression told it all. It opened a can of worms that led to a passionate dicussion regarding Global-Politics and how he enjoyed listening to KPFK 90.7 Pacifica Radio and listened to the likes of Noam Chomsky. I was so happy to know that Vinne was so well informed about the politcal games that go on here in the U.S. and across the world, and especially that he thought Bush was the worst thing that has happened to this country in a long time.

    After our long discussion, the engineer was hinting at Vinnie "uh... dood!! We need to get some recording finished here!!??"

    I sat there in the control room with the double sliding glass doors closed listening and watching from behind him flurry on the drums during the break. And you know what's funny?? I saw the inner child in Vinne last night. For people or even him to say that he isn't interested in soloing or "blowing" anymore, just isn't so. It's part of who Vinnie is. I sat there and watched and listened to him make up stuff as he went along. Never exicuting the same thing twice. I watched him play a single stroke roll with his left hand that I could not duplicate with both my hands. The drumset is truly Vinnies playground, and he still seems to have fun with it like a young and agressive kid with a twinkle in his eye. That is the animal that is Vinnie Colaiuta.

    I know that Vinnie is a Christian and that he recently regained a new desire to find his place with God, Jesus, etc. Seeing that he still has his "vice" as he calls it (smoking). I feel that Vinnie needs to believe in something greater than him. I think he's been able to pull himself out of cocaine addiction and other problems that inherantly ties itself with music and musicians. Just like on that one clinic that I downloaded where Vinnie says "and we all know that Vinnies plan doesn't work too good" just after he dedicates his playing ability to Jesus and his God. I can completely understand how humbling that can be for people regardless of talent or stature. I think it's a good thing that Vinnie is staying on the "somewhat" narrow so he'll be around for a little while longer than Bonham or Moon did. We almost lost Steve Gadd that way.

    Well.... sorry to be so long winded. I thought you'd all get a kick out of my experience yesterday. I'll always cherish the great freinds that I have around me. Because if it weren't for them, I'd be nothing.

    John

  5. #25
    Inactive Member tombo74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    584
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great story! Thanks. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice story.
    I know on Sunday Vinnie was at the ASIA listening party and my friend Todd got to hang and talk with Vinnie. Vinnie played on ASIA's last cd AURA along with Simon Phillips and Chris Slade, Slade whom is a member of ASIA was sick during the tracking sessions of that disc so the band brought in Vinnie and Simon.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member peter b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2004
    Posts
    184
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    damn john, you are one lucky SOB! what an experience!
    thanks!
    peter

    P.S. i would rather watch/meet vinnie than;

    meet the president
    the pope
    bang a string of hot models
    whatever!
    you name it!

  8. #28
    Inactive Member drumaddix's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2004
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    damn right Zombywoof!!
    great story,i'm sure we would all have loved to be there with you and get a glimpse of such a talented musician.

  9. #29
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The drumset is truly Vinnies playground, and he still seems to have fun with it like a young and agressive kid with a twinkle in his eye. That is the animal that is Vinnie Colaiuta.

    One of the best things I've seen on the forum.

    There's been a lot of talking about Vinnie changing lately. I believe the things that make Vinnie play the way he does will never change. I wouldn't worry too much about it guys.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member S.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    John, thats an amazing story, i would give up almost anything to meet vinnie and hang with him for a day. Your a damn lucky guy!...im happy for u

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •